2021 – Ph.D. in English Literature (Anticipated)
2018 – M.A. in English Literature
University of Pennsylvania
2016 – M.A. in English Literature
Graduate Interdisciplinary Specialization in Medieval Studies
The Ohio State University
2014 – Bachelor of Arts and Science in Honours Environment (First Class)
Minor in English Literature
Awards and Honours
- Benjamin Franklin Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania (2016-21)
- Graduate Student Research Fellowship, Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies (2019)
- Digital Humanities Summer Institute Scholarship (2019)
- Grant-In-Aid for “Digging the Past,” Folger Institute (2018)
- SASgov Travel Grant, University of Pennsylvania (Spring 2018; Fall 2018)
- Delmas Foundation Scholarship, California Rare Book School (2018)
- Distinguished University Fellowship, Ohio State University (2014-15)
- Margaret Pratt Scholarship, McGill University (2011-12)
1. Selected Presentations
- Medieval Ecology and Dorigen’s Grisly Black Box. International Medieval Congress, University of Leeds (Jul 1-4, 2019).
- Clean Living: Ecology, Apocalypse, and the Middle English Cleanness. Association for the Study of Literature and Environment, University of of California, Davis (June 26-30, 2019).
- Cetacean Relations: Whales in Medieval Romance and Science. 54th International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 9-12, 2019).
- “Sa nature peot hum guenchir”: Interspecies Kinship in Marie de France’s Fables (Roundtable). 54th International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 9-12, 2019).
- Fish: Friends, or Food? Medieval Perspectives on Aquatic Animals. Global Prehumanisms, University of Illinois (October 18-20, 2018).
- Planh and Plants: The Vegetal Contexts of Troubadour Laments. 75th South Central Modern Language Association Convention, San Antonio (October 11-13, 2018).
- “For They Kan Nat the Craft”: Art(ifice) and Chaucer’s Robotic Horse. Animals: Oxford Medieval Graduate Conference, University of Oxford (June 28, 2018).
- “Le Diable qui parle par ta bouche”: Vulgar Language from Mankind to Michel Tremblay’s Les Belles-Soeurs. 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 10-13, 2018).
- Swearing in Church: Medieval Profanity and Québécois Sacres (Roundtable). 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, Kalamazoo (May 10-13, 2018).
- “English Latin” and the Vulgarity Effect: Linguistic Discord in Middle English and Québécois Drama. Vagantes, University of Minnesota (March 22-24, 2018).
- Snips, Snails, and Paper Trails: The Secrets of Penn Ms. Codex 627. Reading the Natural World: 24th Annual ACMRS Conference, Arizona State University (February 8-10, 2018).
- A Horsly Gyn: Chaucer’s Squire as Poetic Engineer. Auctoritas: 9th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (March 17, 2017).
- “Verdiers d’amor”: Nature and Culture in the Troubadour Albas. Vagantes, Rice University (February 18-20, 2016).
- Eden and the East: Medieval Travellers on the Edge. 57th Midwest Modern Language Association Convention (November 12-15, 2015).
- Velum Scissum Est: Unveiling the Contents and Contexts of a Liturgical Fragment. Texts and Contexts, Ohio State University (October 30-31, 2015).
- “No Gret Mervayle”: Truth and Nature in The Book of John Mandeville. Vagantes, University of Florida (February 19-21, 2015).
- Origins, Functions, and Transformations of an Italian Musical Palimpsest (Poster). Marco Manuscript Workshop, University of Tennessee (February 6-7, 2015).
2. Exhibits Curated
- Scanning the Skies: Astronomy and Medieval Society. 94th Annual Meeting of the Medieval Academy of America, University of Pennsylvania (March 7-9, 2019).
- Online version: aylinmalcolm.com/astro.
- Mediocre Manuscripts @ Penn (with Matt Aiello and Nathalie Lacarrière). Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (February 22, 2019).
3. Conferences Co-Organized
- Mediocrity: 11th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (February 22, 2019).
- Environments of Modernity Symposium, University of Pennsylvania (March 22-23, 2018).
- Vulnerability: 10th Annual Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (March 17, 2018).
- Featured on the Schoenberg Institute Blog.
- Metamorphosis: MRGSA Graduate Conference, Ohio State University (October 23-24, 2015).
4. Panels Moderated
- Poetics and Politics of Mediocrity. Medievalists @ Penn Conference, University of Pennsylvania (February 22, 2019).
- Teaching Feminist, Queer, and Trans Theory. Trans Literacy Project, University of Pennsylvania (October 29, 2018).
- Poets and Their Poetry: Mutable Forms, Fluid Personas. MRGSA Graduate Conference, Ohio State University (October 23-24, 2015).
1. University of Pennsylvania
- Spring 2018: Introduction to Shakespeare (Teaching Assistant).
- Fall 2017: Chaucer: Medieval Poetry & Modern Performance (Teaching Assistant).
2. The Ohio State University
- Fall 2015, Spring 2016: First Year Writing (Instructor of Record).
3. AIESEC International & ICL Group of Colleges (Haryana, India)
- Summer 2011: English as a Second Language (Teaching Intern).
Relevant Work Experience
- Kislak Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Emily Steiner, University of Pennsylvania. Research Assistant (2017).
Online Writing and Media
- Curations for “Universal Dissolution” (Poem 6). The Pulter Project: Poet in the Making, edited by Leah Knight and Wendy Wall, February 2019.
- Interview with Heath Fogg Davis. Alice Paul Center Podcast Series, October 19, 2018.
- “Lost Words” (with Emily Steiner). Penn Arts and Sciences 60-Second Lectures, University of Pennsylvania, September 12, 2018.
- Featured in “A Medieval Minute,” Omnia: All Things Penn Arts & Sciences.
- “Medieval Treasures, Future Trash.” PPEH Lab Fellows Blog. Penn Program in the Environmental Humanities, August 8, 2018.
Professional and University Service
- Anthropocene and Animal Studies Working Group (Penn). Co-Director, with Nicole Welk-Joerger (2017-19).
- Graduate English Association (Penn). New Student Mentor (2017-19); Field Exam Workshop Panelist (February 2019); First-Year Representative, with Stephanie Scherer (2016-17).
- Medievalists @ Penn Working Group. Co-Director, with Matthew Aiello and Nathalie Lacarrière (2018-19); with Shoshana Adler (2017-18).
- Paleography Working Group (Penn). Director (2018-19).
- Trans Literacy Project (Penn). Organizing Committee (2018-19).
- Featured in “Award-Winning Project Sparks Dialogue Around Trans Literacy,” Penn Today.
- Annual Meeting of the Medieval Academy of America (Penn). Book Exhibit Co-Organizer, with Mariah Min (March 2019).
- Vagantes Conference. Board of Directors member (2016-18).
- Workshop on Digital Editing and the Medieval Manuscript Roll. Teacher; Co-Organizer, with Eric Ensley, Gina Hurley, and Judith Weston (March 2018).
- Medieval and Renaissance Graduate Student Association (OSU). Media Officer (2015-16).
Technical Skills and Interests
- Proficient in Adobe Audition & Photoshop, Audacity, GIS, HTML, LaTeX, Omeka, XML. Basic proficiency in CSS, Python.
- Indolent Books. Poetry manuscript reader (2018-present).
- R.B. Toth Associates. Multispectral imaging assistant (Huntington Library, May 2018).
- CKUT Campus-Community Radio, Arts & Culture/Music Intern (Summer 2013); volunteer (2012-14). Selected interviews archived at soundcloud.com/malentendre.
Association for the Study of Literature and Environment; Delaware Valley Medieval Association; Medieval Academy of America; New Chaucer Society.
- Advanced proficiency in Middle English
- Reading proficiency in Latin, Old English, Old & Middle French, Old Occitan
- Fluent French
- Intermediate Spanish and Turkish
- Basic Italian